I had to use a gun for self defense, What do I do now????
So You Had To Use A Gun, Now What? Info from U S Law shield attorneys.....
The moments after you have used a gun or other legal weapon are critical. If you do or say the incorrect thing, it may mean the difference between keeping your legal rights and waiving them. These legal rights may ultimately be the difference between preserving your freedom, or not! Therefore, firearms program attorneys have recommended that our Members follow these procedures if they have used a gun.
• Make sure the threat has been controlled and remain at the scene. If not, find a safe place and remain there.
• Call 911, request police and ambulance – do not say anything other than your name, location, send police and ambulance, and that you have been a victim of a crime. The 911 call is recorded – Say Nothing Else!
• Call your firearms program attorneys! Call the emergency hotline number on the back of your Firearms Program Member ID card.
• Wait for authorities.
• Return your weapon to safe keeping – do not keep it in your hands – you may be mistaken for a bad guy.
• Do not disturb the scene or remove physical evidence.
• Do not refuse medical treatment.
• When police arrive comply with all commands in a neutral non-threatening manner, keeping your hands clear. Until they sort it out, the police do not know the good guys from the bad guys!
• Inform the police you have been a victim of a crime and provide your statistical data, such as name, address, telephone, etc. – nothing else! State to the police: “I wish to invoke my right to remain silent and I want my attorney.”
• Make no statement to anyone, wait to talk to your attorney. If you just shot someone, you are in no state to answer detailed questions. Silence is likely your best option
• Do not speak to the media.
• If asked to accompany law enforcement, comply, but make no statements!
• When your lawyer arrives, follow their advice explicitly.
• Do not make any jokes or cute remarks. These may be used against you!
• Even if you feel you have done nothing wrong, make no statements! Talk to your lawyer first!
U.S. LawShield® offers concealed carry insurance* for as low as $10.95 per month.
Are you prepared for the legal aftermath if you do use your weapon? Even if you claim self-defense to the police, it can cost thousands upon thousands of dollars in legal fees to clear your name.
U.S. LawShield® provides quality and affordable legal defense coverage for responsible self-defenders and firearms owners. We’re giving you an exclusive opportunity to try out our membership experience free for an entire month—no setup fee, first 30 days free.
24/7/365 emergency access to an attorney-answered hotline
Legal representation for both criminal and civil cases
Zero attorneys' fees for covered events—no limits, caps or deductibles
Answers to your self-defense questions through our everyday helpline.
Access to our online training video library.