I had to use a gun for self defense, What do I do now????
So You Had To Use A Gun, Now What? Info from U S Law shield attorneys.....
The moments after you have used a gun or other legal weapon are critical. If you do or say the incorrect thing, it may mean the difference between keeping your legal rights and waiving them. These legal rights may ultimately be the difference between preserving your freedom, or not! Therefore, firearms program attorneys have recommended that our Members follow these procedures if they have used a gun.
• Make sure the threat has been controlled and remain at the scene. If not, find a safe place and remain there.
• Call 911, request police and ambulance – do not say anything other than your name, location, send police and ambulance, and that you have been a victim of a crime. The 911 call is recorded – Say Nothing Else!
• Call your firearms program attorneys! Call the emergency hotline number on the back of your Firearms Program Member ID card.
• Wait for authorities.
• Return your weapon to safe keeping – do not keep it in your hands – you may be mistaken for a bad guy.
• Do not disturb the scene or remove physical evidence.
• Do not refuse medical treatment.
• When police arrive comply with all commands in a neutral non-threatening manner, keeping your hands clear. Until they sort it out, the police do not know the good guys from the bad guys!
• Inform the police you have been a victim of a crime and provide your statistical data, such as name, address, telephone, etc. – nothing else! State to the police: “I wish to invoke my right to remain silent and I want my attorney.”
• Make no statement to anyone, wait to talk to your attorney. If you just shot someone, you are in no state to answer detailed questions. Silence is likely your best option
• Do not speak to the media.
• If asked to accompany law enforcement, comply, but make no statements!
• When your lawyer arrives, follow their advice explicitly.
• Do not make any jokes or cute remarks. These may be used against you!
• Even if you feel you have done nothing wrong, make no statements! Talk to your lawyer first!
At any given moment, situations of self-defense and emergencies can happen to anyone and unfortunately, the justice system may not be on your side. While you protect your family and property, U.S. & Texas LawShield is here to defend you 24/7/365 with the most comprehensive self-defense coverage at an affordable price.