Everything you need to know about Texas license to carry, from WacoGunClass.com
"How do I apply for a new Texas License to Carry?"
1) Complete one of our TEXAS LICENSE TO CARRY CLASSES. Upon successful completion of the class, you will receive a CHL-100 Certificate of Training for submission to the Texas Department of Public Safety. The Certificate of Training is valid for 2 years.
2) Complete the license application process through Texas DPS and pay the license fee. DPS prefers you to use their ONLINE APPLICATION process, but you can still submit a paper application. As a part of the online application process, you will also pay for and schedule electronic fingerprinting ($10). It usually takes 30-60 days to receive your license once you have completed the application process. Click here to see instructional step-by-step video.
"How do I RENEW my Texas License to Carry?"
Within 6 months before your current license expires, you can renew your Texas license to carry online at this link CLICK HERE. No class or fingerprints are needed to renew, just pay your fee and that’s it. For questions call DPS at 1-512-424-7293.
"Where can I find the official DPS website and resources?"
"When can I apply to Texas DPS for a License to Carry?"
You can start the license application process with DPS before or after the class. To learn more or start the license application process through the DPS website, click here.
"Do I need a License to carry to have a gun in my home or car in Texas?"
You do not need a license to carry to have a handgun or rifle with you in your home, car, boat, if you are a law-abiding adult in Texas in legal possession of a gun. You can carry handguns, loaded and within reach in your car, boat, so long as you conceal the firearm. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed and may be loaded and within reach, even without an LTC.
"Do you teach the official Texas DPS certified License to Carry course?"
YES! Our DPS certified instructors teach the official State of Texas License To Carry Waco Gun Class. We can even bring the class to your home or location of your choice for your family or friends, followed by a short trip to one of our nearby ranges for the shooting qualification. This makes for a fun and memorable event for your friends, family or church group. CLICK HERE to learn more about our private/small group License To Carry class and our ENHANCED License To Carry Class.....
"What should I expect at the LTC class?"
The Texas LTC class is 4-5 hours of classroom instruction plus the time it takes to shoot the proficiency test at the range. Total time approximately 5-6 hours. The classroom instruction will cover the DPS required subjects using Powerpoint presentations, videos and hands-on exercises. There is a standard 25 question written test at the end of the class.
"What is the LTC Shooting Proficiency Test?"
Don't worry, the shooting test is safe, stress-free and we make it as enjoyable as possible. The shooting proficiency test requires students to shoot 50 rounds of ammunition at a “B-27” target which is a human-shaped silhouette target that measures 45" high and 24" wide. Students shoot 20 rounds from 3 yards, 20 rounds from 7 yards and 10 rounds at 15 yards in specific steps with time to rest in between. All shooting is from the "ready position" where your firearm is already in a position to fire. If any malfunctions are encountered, the shooter will work through the problem and finish the course of fire. If rounds are held (not fired within the allotted time), the shots will be scored as misses. A total of 50 shots are fired during the range qualification test. A score of 70% or greater is required to pass, or 175 points out of a possible 250 points.
"How much experience with shooting handguns do I need to have before I take the LTC class?"
A student needs to be familiar with his or her handgun and know how to load, operate, shoot and unload the handgun safely before the class. Students with no prior shooting experience, or who believe themselves incapable of passing the shooting test without coaching should take our NEW SHOOTER/INTRO TO SHOOTING, or PRIVATE INSTRUCTION class prior to this class, and gain some experience at a shooting range before taking the LTC class.
"What kind of handgun and ammunition do I need to bring?"
You may use any caliber revolver or semi-auto pistol that is in SAFE and RELIABLE working condition. The instructor will inspect your gun to verify that it is in SAFE and RELIABLE working condition. You will need 50 rounds of ammunition for the shooting test, and you should have an additional 50 rounds available if you need to re-shoot the test. NO RELOADED or UN-BOXED ammo can be used for safety and reliability reasons
Texas License to Carry Permit Requirements:
- You must be 21 years of age or older to apply for a Texas License to Carry (LTC).
- You must have a valid government-issued identification card, such as driver's license from Texas or another state.
- You must meet all qualifications to purchase a handgun.
- You must pass an approved classroom or online training course and demonstrate handgun proficiency shooting with a Texas qualified LTC instructor.
- The Texas License to Carry a Handgun is valid for four years.
- Standard condition and renewal permits are $40. Retired judicial officers and military veterans are eligible for a discount. (There is an additional fee for fingerprinting.)
- Texas allows non-residents to obtain a License to Carry permit. To apply for an out-of-state permit, you must submit an application (LTC-78A), pay the required fees, successfully complete the required training in Texas, and submit all supporting documents. Non-residents must also submit the form LTC-6, two passport-style photos, and a copy of their out-of-state driver's license or any other state-issued identification card.
Cen Tex Gun Training llc serves the Central Texas Waco region, providing Gun Training classes, private and small group gun instruction and lessons, Texas license to carry, LTC CCL, concealed carry and home defense fundamentals classes. Schedule a custom Waco gun class or private class tailored to your family and friends at a home or location of your choice. Contact us with your ideas, questions, or suggestions!
Like us and share with your friends!